Pages

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Halloween Craft – Spooky Slime

**This was written for our local Macaroni Kid newsletter! I figured I would share on my blog as well! Haven't heard of Macaroni Kid? Check to see if your local area has one HERE **

I don’t know about your home, but the slime craze hit my house hard over the past year. We have all sorts of different types, textures, and colors of slime. With Halloween right around the corner, I started thinking that we needed some spooky slime! I wanted something bright and Halloween themed. I headed to my local craft store and Target, and found everything I needed for some frightening new slime! I got all my ingredients for under $10 and if you have some of the items at home (ie. baking soda and contact solution) it could be even cheaper to make. This recipe makes a huge batch with plenty to share, plus it was an easy project to do with my two daughters.

So here is what you need to make spooky slime:

  • 1 cup of clear school glue (2- 5oz bottles)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • Bottle of Contact Solution
  • Lime green glitter (or color of your choice)
  • Halloween Confetti
  • Mixing bowl, measuring cups/ spoons, and a spatula to stir
  • A jar or container to store the finished product


Here’s how we make it:

Step 1: Measure out 1 cup of clear glue and pour it into a mixing bowl.



Step 2: Measure out 1 cup of water and pour in with the glue in the mixing bowl






Step 3: Mix until both the glue and the water are combined


Step 4: Add the glitter to the mixture. I used approximately ½ cup of fine lime green glitter. Stir until fully mixed.





Step 5: Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the mixture. Continue to mix until completely dissolved.


Step 6: Add contact solution. I started out with 2 tablespoons and mixed. You can feel it starting to get stiffer. Keep mixing and add contact solution as needed until the mixture is no longer sticking to the bowl.


Step 7: Work in a few handfuls of confetti.




Step 8: Enjoy playing with your new spooky slime! Store it in a container or small mason jar when you finish playing with it! If it is sticking to your hands or any surfaces add more contact solution.






Lessons Learned: I always like to reflect on ways that I could do a project better. I was pretty impressed with how this came out. I do want to note that while getting your slime to the perfect consistency, it may get on your clothes if you are not careful. Somehow, I was the only one who managed to get it on both my jeans and shirt. The good news is that it came out in the washing machine with no problem or pretreat! Also, the contact solution will be your best friend when making the slime just the right consistency, but remember to add small amounts at a time. It’s always better to have to add more, then to have added too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment