Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2014

And Then There Were Two (Birth Story Part 2)

Okay so where were we?!
 
Once we were moved to the new room, I could finally get food and rest! All I could think about though was Hailey coming to meet her sister! This is something I had dreamed about before I was even pregnant! I wanted to make sure she was the first one to meet her. Being that she was an hour and a half away at my Mom's,  I knew we would have to wait for a bit. It was okay though because I had nurses coming in and out checking on us and we were waiting for Emily's temperature to adjust so she could have her first bath!
 
The morning quickly passed as we napped and got ready for Hailey to come! When my mom called and said they were almost there, I got so nervous. I seriously had been waiting for this special moment for years. Before coming to the hospital,  I had taken Hailey to the store to pick something special for her to give Emily and I had spent hours trying to pick out the perfect gift for Emily to give Hailey.
 
I couldn't wait for the knock at my door knowing it was Hailey! When it finally came it was all I could do to not yell out of excitement "come meet your little sister"! She came right over and looked at her and smiled. I told her she could touch her and she felt her little hands and touched her little ears. Hailey doesn't get overly excited about things and being an excitable person, it drives me nuts!  But I could tell she was excited to finally be meeting Emily. I asked her if she wanted to hold her, and she climbed up in my bed so we could put a pillow in her lap to help support her and readily put her arms out. I put a sleeping Emily in her arms and she starred down at her. It honestly melted my heart! I asked if she wanted to give Emily her present and handed it to her. Of course Emily didn't even bat an eye. Then I told her Emily had something for her and gave her the box with her big sister bracelet which she immediately wanted on! It was a prefect moment for sure! She fed her and held her for at least an hour while she just starred at her. It was prefect!
 
It was Emily's time to go get her first bath and while she was gone, Hailey paced back and forth wondering where she was and what was taking so long. Emily was gone about 45 minutes and came back fresh and clean! They said she wasn't happy during the bath, but loved having her hair washed! After some more cuddling, it was finally time for Hailey and my Mom to head home. They said their good byes and my Mom promised Hailey to bring her back the next day.
 
That evening Emily was pretty content and when the pediatrician and nurse came in, they informed us that we could leave the next morning instead of having to wait until that Friday. We were both doing great and since I wasn't a first time mom, we didn't have to stay the extra time.
 
That night went pretty well. She woke up several times to eat and to be changed. The nurse came in and took her for a bit to run some tests and to allow us to get some rest. She was only gone for a little over an hour, but when she got back we were both awake and waiting for her.
 
They informed us that her bilirubin levels were high and would need to be rechecked in the afternoon but we could still go home most likely. We had a couple visitors and my Mom and Hailey came back in the afternoon. They took Emily and ran some more labs. At 4:30 the pediatrician came in and said her levels had increased most likely due to some bruising on her head from being the wrong way when we started pushing, but that I was being released and needed to call and make her an appointment with her pediatrician for the next day. I immediately called and got an appointment the next morning.
 
To be honest, I was a little disappointed that we were being released so soon. I liked people taking care of me and having someone checking in on me. I remembered how hard that was when I left the hospital with Hailey and went back to the real world. I had very little help from Kenny and things were very stressful. That was one of the huge reasons that I wanted the house to be prefect when we came home. I was scared to go through that again and cried the entire time we were being discharged. It made it harder when people were asking if I was okay, and I couldn't tell them what was wrong.  I knew it was best because we could take Hailey home and she could go to school on her last day of school and I felt bad for the way I felt, but face it, I was sore and exhausted and hormonal so I was allowed to have my moment.
 
We left that evening and headed home! It actually wasn't that bad, except for coming home to a house without a working air conditioner (Two days later we had a temporary fix). Once home things fell into place easier than I thought. I watched as Hailey sat on the floor reading books to Emily and talking to her. We cooked dinner and then got ready for Hailey's last day of school and for bed. I will admit, it was nice to sleep in my own bed and Emily did awesome that night!
 
As for Emily's bilirubin levels, we were sent back to the hospital to get labs done and found out they had increased that Friday. We were sent back to the labs on Saturday and finally got the call Sunday morning that they had gone down a point so we no longer had to worry as long as she continued to eat well and that the yellowing would go away shortly (which it did)!
 
So there we have it! A completed birth story! But it's not over until I share all the pictures from that day!
 
Baby Hair!
 
 
 
 
 
 Big sister holding her for the very first time!



 Daddy and his girls!
 

 Holy hot mess! Mommy and her girls!
 
 Feeding baby sister!
 
 Gift Hailey picked out for Emily!
 
 Big sister bracelet from Emily!


 

 Just couldn't take her eyes off of her!

 Going home outfit!
 



Welcome home!




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment