Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Double Standards

A double standard is the application of different sets of principles for similar situations, or to different people in the same situation. A double standard may take the form of an instance in which certain concepts (often, for example, a word, phrase, social norm, or rule) are perceived as acceptable to be applied by one group of people, but are considered unacceptable when applied by another group.

One thing I hate is when people have double standards! When they look down on you for something, yet they are doing it themselves or turn around and do it after telling you that you shouldn't. Everyone who knows me knows that I pay close attention to double standards and get irritated very easily when people do that to me. It's one of those things "practice what you preach".

But this time I have caught myself being the person with a double standard........

Something came up yesterday, that very much bothered me. In fact it broke my heart! But the funny thing is I shouldn't expect that much from this person because I am doing the same thing (well sorta). The situation is complicated, but I still got my potato chip feelings crunched. So I am not mad at this person, I am more mad at myself, for thinking that things should be different and for getting so crushed over this. I wish I could turn my emotions off when it comes to issues like this, but I can't. I wish I could read minds to know what people are thinking, but I can't. The only thing I can do is decide how I want it to effect me and what route I should go to not let these feelings overwhelm me again.

My solution last night (while tears were streaming down my cheeks) was to turn the music up LOUD and DANCE. Hailey quickly joined in and we danced our hearts out together right in the middle of the living room. Then I started cleaning and dancing. I felt so much better by the end of the night. The feelings are still there and hurt, but it allowed me to keep my mind off of it, even it was just for a bit. A step in the right direction? I think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment