Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Goal #1- Revamp my diet!

In order to achieve something, you must have goals. Goal #1- Revamp my diet!

When you eat better you feel better! You get more energy from good foods and less lag from not so good foods. In order to accomplish anything, I need energy. I can't work towards other goals if all I want to do is sleep. So let's take a look at what I have going on here:
  • Cut out almost all fast foods- Good habit!
  • Started drinking regular soda- Bad habit!
  • Sit at the dinner table every night with Hailey and eat together- Good habit!
  • Not measuring food to control portions- Bad Habit!
  • Not drinking water throughout the day- Bad Habit!
  • Going long periods between meals- Bad Habit!
  • Eating sweets to satisfy my sweet tooth- Bad Habit!
  • Going grocery shopping every week- Good Habit!
So I have developed some good habits and I have developed some bad habits. Also since I go long periods of time between meals, I tend to eat more at meals. Not to mention I am missing out on those small snacks that keep my energy and blood sugar up!

Daily recommended nutritional servings:

The Food Pyramid for Nutrition Guidance: A Snapshot
Here's a breakdown of the food pyramid guidelines, which now list total daily amounts in each category that you can assign to meals and snacks throughout the day:
  • Grain Group: six ounce-equivalents or servings each day. Choose at least three that are whole grain.
  • Vegetable Group: 2.5 cups total for five servings each day. Choose a variety of vegetables of different colors, including dark green and orange.
  • Fruit Group: 2 cups total for four servings each day. Choose a variety of fruits of different colors.
  • Milk Group: 3 cups each day. Yogurt, milk, and cheese (low-fat or fat-free versions are best).
  • Meats and Beans Group: 5.5 ounces total for two or three servings each day. Lean meats, chicken, eggs, nuts, dried beans and peas, and fish.
  • Oils: six teaspoons or servings each day. Choose mono- and polyunsaturated oils.
  • Discretionary Calories: a small amount. An allotment of 100 to 300 calories can be used on foods with fats or sugars, like dessert.

So there we have it! Goal 1: Let's revamp my diet! The first step to feeling better is beginning with feeling better about my body and self!

No comments:

Post a Comment